Population: 1,918,300; Urban Population: 654,000; Area: 33,000 square kilometers; Nationalities: Han, Hui, Mongolian and Tujia; Zip Code: 733000; Area Code: 0935;
Administrative Division: one district (Liangzhou District), three towns (Minqin Town, Gulang Town, Tianzhu Town)
Location: Wuwei City is situated in the central part of Gansu Province, on the east end of Hexi Corridor. It lies between north latitude 37o23'-38o12' and east longitude 101o59'-103o23'
Neighboring Areas: Qinghai province and Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region
Physical Features: The hypsography of Wuwei City is higher at south and lower at north, sloping from southwest to northeast. It leans on Qilian Mountain in the south and borders the Tengger Desert in the north. It is also the juncture of Qinghai-Tibet Plateau, Loess Plateau and Mongolian-Xinjiang Plateau.
History: Wuwei has a very long history since there were people living here 5,000 years ago. Emperor Wu of Han Dynasty (206BC-220AD) sent General Huo Qubing (140-117BC) to attack the Hexi Corridor in 121BC After successfully defeating the Huns and seizing the territory by Qilian Mountain, Emperor Wu named Wuwei as a city's name in order to cite the heroic exploits and great contribution of General Huo. During the period of Three Kingdoms, Wu Kingdom set its government here, later, the Former Liang (317-376 AD), the Later I.iang (386-403 AD), the Southern Liang (397-414 AD) and the Northern Liang (401-439 AD) and some other dynasties all had their capitals here, therefore, the town of Wuwei got another name 'Liangzhou' .
Scenery Spot of Wuwei
Located on the historical Silk Road, Wuwei is considered to be one of the most famous historical and cultural cities of China with plenty of historical recourses. There are numerous historical and cultural relics for sightseeing in the city. The most famous ones include the Confucian Temple, Leitai Tombs of Han Dynasty, Changcheng Town (Great Wall Town), Tianzhu Small Three Gorges, Shimengou Grassland Park and Tiantishan Grotto. When traveling in Wuwei, you should not miss those worth seeing attractions.
Transportation of Wuwei
1. There is no civil airport in Wuwei City. The nearest airport is Lanzhou Zhongchuan Airport.
2. It is easy to take train traveling from Wuwei to other cites in China. Wuwei Railway Station is located at Chengguan Town. It offers daily trains running to Lanzhou, Korla, Beijing, Jiayuguan, Urumqi, Dunhuang, Xian, Zhengzhou, Shanghai, Hangzhou, Chengdu, Chongqing, Shangqiu, Lianyungang, etc.
3. Wuwei Long-distance Bus Station is located at Nanguanxi Lu. It is the hinge of passenger bus transport in Wuwei. There are buses daily traveling to Lanzhou, Zhangye, Tianshui, Jinchang, Jiuquan, Jiayuguan, Yumen, Dunhuang, Yinchuan, Xining, etc.
4. There are 15 public bus lines traveling around in Wuwei downtown area now. Bus 1, 2, 12 and 102 can take you to Wuwei Railway Station. Bus 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10 and 102 can take you to the long-distance bus station.
5. The taxi fare is different for different kind of Taxi. It is CNY3 (Alto)/CNY4 (Fukang)/CNY5 (Santana) for the first three kilometers and then CNY1/1.2/1.5 per additional kilometer.