Interested in the panda volunteer program?
Wolong Bifengxia is now allowing individuals or groups to volunteer at the Bifengxia panda reserve. These trips must be arranged by qualified individuals or travel agencies. Depending on the time of year and the tour you select, volunteer service will cost approximately $100 per day for lodging, food, uniforms, etc.
In order to volunteer you should be in generally good health. You might need a health certificate.
The hotel and the Wolong Panda reserve is in the northern Sichuan's Qinling Mountains and the altitude is about 6,300 feet above sea level. So keep this in mind if you have altitude or breathing problems. This is a remote area. Temperatures are hot and humid in the summer and cold in the winter.
Wolong National Nature Reserve is located in an alpine valley on the Tibetan Plateau. The crystal clear waters of the Pitiao River run through the reserve. Wolong National Nature Reserve has become China's largest and certainly the most important sanctuary for giant pandas and other rare and precious animals and plants. Primitive forest and original ecosystem here are well preserved, and therefore the Reserve is a rare natural park. The subtropical damp climate provides favorable conditions for forest and vegetation to grow. According to relevant statistics, there are more than 4,000 plant species.
Following a short training,volunteer service might include:
Assistant to the panda keepers:
- Cleaning panda areas and enclosures
- Preparing food for the pandas such as carrots, apples, panda bread and their nutritional biscuits
- Carrying lots of bamboo
- Sometimes you might be able to help collect behavioral data
- You will also have time to watch and photograph the pandas
Interpreter in the panda garden:
- Introduce the giant panda research, such as breeding and hand-rearing.
- Introduce the giant panda research cooperation with the USA, Japan, Austria, Thailand etc
- Introduce all the giant pandas, their different habit, behavior etc.
- Tell stories of the giant panda for the visiting Chinese and international tourists.
Interested in this program?